Here’s a recipe for a delicious twist on the traditional Caesar salad. Grilling the romaine adds a wonderful smoky char but keeps the romaine’s wonderful crunchiness. Use Greek yogurt and non-fat mayo and high flavor anchovy and Parmesan to yield perfectly tasty results every time without all the calories of traditional Caesar dressing. Add some grilled chicken or shrimp and you’re good to go for a quick end of summer grilled dinner.
- 1/4 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup of non-fat or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 anchovy fillets or 1 tablespoon of anchovy paste (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 juiced lemon
- 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Water to thin if needed
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 large, minced clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of minced parsley
- 2 heads trimmed and quartered romaine
- 1/4 cup of coarsely grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1 pint of heirloom cherry tomatoes (optional)
Prepare croutons. Process whole wheat bread in food processor fitted with metal blade until fine crumbs form. In small skillet, over medium heat, warm one tablespoon of olive oil. Add garlic and bread crumbs. Toast until crumbs are crispy and fragrant. Remove from skillet and salt and pepper liberally. Toss in chopped parsley. Set aside.
Prepare Caesar dressing. Combine garlic, Worcestershire, anchovy, Parmesan, lemon juice, vinegar and cayenne in the bowl of a food processor. Process until well combined. Add mayonnaise and yogurt and pulse gently. Taste and adjust salt and pepper. Add a little water if dressing seems too thick. Dressing may be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Prepare the salad. Preheat grill to low heat. Trim the rough ends off and carefully quarter romaine heads. Grill lightly until slightly charred. Remove from grill and dress lightly with dressing. Take care not to overdress the salad. Serve the salad topped with seasoned breadcrumb croutons and shaved Parmesan and tomatoes if desired.